- Research articles report substantial advances in the scientific understanding of the Solid Earth within the scope of the journal.
- Short communications report particularly concise and innovative/controversial perspectives on Solid Earth science.
- Review articles summarize the status of knowledge and outline future directions of research within the scope of the journal. Before preparing and submitting a review article, please contact an editor covering the relevant subject area and an executive editor.
- Method articles report novel and valuable methodologies that geoscientists can utilize in their own field and laboratory work.
- Peer-reviewed comments continue the discussion of preceding papers beyond the limits of immediate interactive discussion. They may be longer and submitted later than the comments exchanged in the interactive public discussion of papers in SED. They undergo the same process of peer review, publication, and interactive discussion as articles and technical notes, and they are equivalent to the peer-reviewed comments in traditional scientific journals. The manuscript title should start with "Comment on" or "Reply to".
- Corrigenda correct errors in preceding papers. The manuscript title reads as follows: Corrigendum to "TITLE" published in JOURNAL, VOLUME, PAGES, YEAR. Please note that corrigenda are only possible for final revised journal papers and not for the corresponding discussion paper.